Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Easter Day 1971

Easter Day - April 11, 1971 was memorable. Indeed this Easter - April 12, 2009 - I am having a hard time getting it out of my mind. It's a story that's particularly meaningful to me, as you will see. But I don't want it to loose anything in the telling. Since it is very personal, I will try to be interesting while adding the poignancy of the day as a little flavoring.

The story starts a week before Easter as my family and I were on a Business/Pleasure trip to South Texas and the Gulf Coast. I made my sales calls as we went along in Waco, San Antonio and Laredo. We had a 1970 VW Campmobile vehicle. It was a great car but underpowered. Won't go there... There is a lot that could be told here, but I want to get to the arrival back home in Hurst, Sunday evening April 11, 1971. A phone call from Mom informed us that my Dad had died that morning. Pretty big shock but then again he had a history of heart attacks and that's what happened. But the details are where the story lies.

Dad and Mom had gone to Georgie's house that Saturday evening so she and Dad could practice the song for Easter. The plan was for him to sing that evening but he said words to the effect that "this isn't an evening song, it's a morning song...besides, I won't be there Sunday evening." Mom later said in recalling this event that she didn't give it much thought since they sometimes skipped church to go fishing, but she didn't press it. So it was decided that he would sing for the Sunday Morning Worship Service. Which he did. The song was I Know That My Redeemer Lives - a very stirring song and pretty difficult vocally. Dad was a "Top Tenor" meaning first tenor. His voice was strong even till the last - that's what Mom said. Well, as I said the story is in the details. He sat down beside Mom and she said - good job Nard (nickname for Venard)! She said he looked pleased. Dad had a certain look he got when he knew something was done well. A song, a wood plaque, a perfectly plastered house, whatever - you could see that sort of half smile, a look of satisfaction. That's how he looked when he died. The mortician captured that look. Pretty amazing... But that still isn't the real detail of the story. His last words on earth were "Because He lives, I too, I too, I too shall live!"

Dad is alive with Jesus in Heaven now and I have to believe God honored Dad for a life well lived with his manner of departing. Dad never had a lot of money or fame, although we had our share in the good days of the 1950's but it was not to be that we kept any of it. That's OK because the treasures he built up here vanished in a heartbeat a 1961 Sheriff's Sale. But the real Silver, Gold and Precious Jewels remain in Dad's crown because of the life he lived. This will some day be his gift to Jesus.

So the message here is what's your gift going to be? How will you live your life? How have you lived your life up till today? Do you have a lot of money and stuff? That's OK, it's not a bad thing, but the problem can be that you get lost in the shuffle. Don't ever forget that it's what you Can take with you that counts. What will your (my) last words be. What will you take with you? Are you Born again?

Hopefully you will be with my Dad, Mom and Me when I go. And we never know when that second may be. Keep the faith!

No comments: